John R. Muir & Co. Solicitors are an innovative legal firm with offices in both Airdrie and Carluke. We offer professional solicitor services at affordable prices. Established since 1976, our team of lawyers and property agents have built a strong reputation based on our exceptional legal services.

We try to we provide client services in a different way to our competitors. We only give clients advice in areas of law in which we are experienced. A significant part of our work is referred to us by reputation. We strive to resolve clients’ legal issues in a practical way using common sense and plain English. We are down to earth and very approachable. We try hard to ensure clients are satisfied with our service levels and that our staff enjoy working for us.

From buying and selling a house, to negotiating a commercial lease, John R. Muir & Co. Solicitors can provide a full property and estate agency service.  In addition, our experienced legal team can assist with a wide range of legal services from the winding up of a loved ones estate to guiding you through the whole process of setting up or reviewing your will.

If you have mobility problems, we will be happy to arrange an appointment to visit you in the comforts of your own home.

What's New?



We are pleased to announce that we have updated this website to include the entire range of services that we can provide. These include areas such as Family Law, Court Services, Personal Injury, Business Law, Agricultural Law and much more. For the full range please explore this website or contact us for more information.


We are now pleased to announce that we have moved our Carluke office to 39 High Street. This move will give us some much needed space as well as the opportunity for us to put our own stamp on the look and feel of this office. I think you will agree that it's not your typical Solicitors office.

Wills & Estates

Wills and Estates holding text. Explain what Wills and Estates consists of and what John R Muir and Co. can do for the client.


If you wish to let a property you own to a tenant we can ensure a short assured tenancy is put in place to protect your interest. We are able to provide information on landlord registration. It is an offence for a person to let out a house subject to a lease or an occupancy agreement, whilst unregistered with the relevant local authority. From the 1st May 2013 Landlords must also provide tenants with standard documentation and a tenants information pack. Failure to provide a tenant information pack will be a criminal offence and landlords who do not provide the pack could be liable of a fine up to £500.

Landords will have to provide tenants with "standard tenancy documents". These are:

  • A copy of the Tenancy Agreement
  • A copy of the Gas Safety Certificate

(In terms of Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1988, a copy of the last inspection record/certificate in respect of any appliance of flue so is to be provided to each tenant)

  • Form AT5

(where the landlord is letting the property on a Short Assured Tenancy)

  • Tenant Information Pack

The "Tenant Information Pack" consists of two documents:

  • Acknowledgement Form
  • Scottish Government Guidance Notes


Unsure what to do if you are in the fortunate position to have paid off your mortgage? Contact us and we will happily assist in the legal discharge (removal) of your security from the Land Register. We are also able to offer storage of your deeds thereafter in our storage facility free of charge.